Frequently Asked Questions
We receive tons of questions through social media, and our contact us page. So, heres the answers.
Who uses LicensePlateData?
From used car shoppers and sellers to people curious about their vehicle.
What does LicensePlateData have to offer?
LicensePlateData sells cheaper vehicle reports than our competitors, detailed vehicle information and historical report, and many more features.
How does LicensePlateData obtain information?
LicensePlateData uses massive databases provided by the DMV and or other sources to gather information about a vehicle, repair and auto body shops, insurance, and customers like yourself.
Is it legal to look up someone's license plate?
It is perfectly legal to run any license plate as it is a matter of public records. But if you are trying to retrieve personally identifiable information (PII), then you should have specific Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) reasons for it. The permissible use cases are:
- for goverment agencies;
- in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft;
- in normal course of business to verify the accuracy of infromation proided by the vehicle owner;
- in connection with any matter before a court or arbitration proceeding;
- in reasearch activities (excluding personal information);
- for insurance purposes;
- for providing notice to owners of towed vehicles;
- by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed secruity firm;
- by employers to verify commerical driver information as required by U.S. Code Title 49, subtitle VI, chapter 313;
- by private toll transportation facilities;
- for response to requests from departments of motor vehicle;
- bulk distribution for surveys, marketing or solicitations (requires opt-in);
- by written consent of the owner;
- for other reasons (varies by state).
So running a license plate search is perfectly legal, unless you want to find out personally identifiable information, which is still legal if you have a DPPA permissible use case.
What does a license plate lookup result provide?
When you do a reverse license plate number search on LPD, you will access a report about the motor vehicle, government recalls, vehicle image, flood damage records, accident records, lemon records, single owner records, vehicle service history records, and vehicle recall records. In many cases, if the license plate was previously reported, you will see images and videos submitted by our community, read comments and feedback, view related resources and more.
Searching for Vehicle License Plate Owner Information?
We don't publicly show license plate owner information, you may use our Owner Lookup.
If a question you have hasn't been answered above, feel free to use the Contact Us page.